- Brown meat and drain excess fat.
- Prepare the Tomato Basil Soup Recipe minus the heavy cream and add an extra 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes. Allow to simmer with ground meat. (Taste for seasoning)
- In a separate bowl, combine the chopped spinach and ricotta, 1/4 tsp salt and dash of nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 9×13 pan, lay down 1/2 the meat sauce, then 1/2 the zucchini (slightly overlapping, covering entire pan), then all of the spinach ricotta mixture then the other half of the the zucchini (slightly overlapping, covering entire pan) then the remainder of the meat sauce. Top with your favorite cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 15-20 minutes to allow the cheese to brown a little
It’s that time of year again in the South, harvest time for our summer veggies. There is always an abundance of zucchini and squash at our house from my in-law’s garden. This lasagna replaces traditional noodles with zucchini and has a spinach and ricotta filling as well. And don’t forget about the spicy meat sauce. You won’t miss the noodles I promise!!
The trick to not having a watery lasagna is salting your sliced zucchini. I used a mandoline and sliced my zucchini between 1/8th and 1/4 inch thick. Then I generously salted each layer and set them aside and let the salt pull the water out of the zucchini, about 30 minutes. Then all you do is pour off the water, rinse the zucchini and allow them to dry on paper towels and then use as you would lasagna noodles.
As for the Spicy Meat Sauce, brown 1 1/2 pounds of meat and make my Tomato Basil Soup Recipe minus the heavy cream and add an extra 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes. You can also add mushrooms and onions or other veggies if you like to the sauce.
This recipe makes a lot so plan on leftovers and I don’t think anyone will complain!
Zucchini and Spinach Lasagna with a Spicy Meat Sauce
Serves around 8
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, browned
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (minus heavy cream)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5 Zucchini, sliced 1/8th and 1/4 inch thick
16 oz chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
2 cups ricotta cheese (full fat)
1/4 tsp salt (optional for ricotta cheese mixture)
Dash of Nutmeg (optional)
8 oz of favorite cheese (I used Sharp Cheddar but mozzarella would be more traditional)