This is one of my favs! It’s quick and it’s tasty, the latter being the most important! This is also a Dairy-Free recipe. I intended to cook this recipe in the crock pot but I still can’t find it from the move so I just started it on top of the stove by browning my chicken thighs and then finished it in the oven so I didn’t have to worry about it. Definitely a go-to meal if you have the right ingredients on hand.
I will list 2 different instructions: One for slow cookers (I recommend THIS one) and the other for cooking on stove (or oven).
I love Chipotle in Adobo! Warning, very SPICY!! I didn’t use the seeds but if you are wanting a kick, leave them in. The coconut milk is such a wonderful compliment to the heat and adding more at the end really does the trick. You can also use bone-in chicken thighs but I would remove the skin and cook for a bit longer.
This would also be nice with some Cauliflower rice but was great by itself and it’s even better the next day! Enjoy!
Coconut-Chipotle Chicken Stew
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 lbs chicken boneless & skin-less chicken thighs
2 bell peppers, cut up into 1” chunks
1 sweet onion, cut in 1” chunks
15 oz diced tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2/3 cup coconut milk
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 individual Chipotle in Adobo, chopped, plus 1 tbsp sauce (less if you don’t want as much heat)
Additional Toppings: Avocado, more lime juice, chopped cilantro and more coconut milk.
- Season liberally chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add oil to dutch oven or large pot and bring to medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken thighs and brown on each side for 5 minutes. ( You are not trying to cook chicken thighs all the way.)
- Add onions and bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, lime juice, coconut milk, garlic and Chipotles in Adobo. Stir.
- Reduce heat to med-low. Cover and cook for 1 hour on top of stove or finish off in oven for 1 hour at 300 degrees F. After turning oven off, you can let it stay for a few more hours until we were ready to eat.
- Place chicken thighs in bottom of crock pot. You can place coconut oil on bottom of crock pot if desired. Season liberally with salt & pepper.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, blend tomatoes, lime juice and coconut milk and chipotles in Adobo. Stir and pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or 2-4 hours on high.
Serve in bowls and squeeze just a bit of lime over dish and add chopped cilantro and avocado and pour about 1 tbsp of coconut milk over top of each serving.
The faces of Satisfying Eats
Some of the links contained in this post are Affiliate Links. If you make a purchase through the links provided, I will receive a small (very small) commission which I will use to buy more ingredients to create more recipes. This is at NO cost to you. I have chosen these products not to receive a commission, but because I think they are the best on the market. These are ingredients and equipment that I actually use. This commission helps compensate me for my time, and justifies the hours each day that I spend in the kitchen creating recipes, on the computer posting blogs, and sharing helpful information with you.
By clicking on any of links in my blog, you are helping me continue doing what I LOVE to do! Also, when purchasing items from Amazon, consider clicking on THIS affiliate link. Anything you purchase within 24 hours after clicking on THIS link, I will receive a small commission as well. Thanks again for all of your support, it is greatly appreciated! More great recipes to come!