Homemade Blueberry Syrup
(8) 2 tbsp servings; 6 Net Carbs per serving (without juice)
Total time to prepare: 20 minutes
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh/frozen)
- 1/2cup water (optional)
- 1/2 cup of fresh fruit orange juice (Optional)
- Stevia- to taste (I used 1/4 tsp Kal Brand)
- Up to 1 tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (I like salted), optional
- Place blueberries and water into small pot. (If adding juice, add at this time.)
- Bring to boil and then crush blueberries with slotted spoon or potato masher in pot.
- If straining out blueberry pulp, do this now using strainer and return blueberry juice to pot.
- Bring back to medium boil for 5-10 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: After 10 minutes of boiling and syrup is not thick enough, you can carefully dust arrowroot powder over syrup while whisking vigorously. Also add Stevia or sweetener at this time.
- Turn off heat and whisk in the 2 tablespoons of butter until melted.
- Taste for sweetness. Add more sweetener if needed.
- Will make about 3/4 to 1 cup, more than enough for up to 8 servings (2 tbsp).
- Store leftovers in fridge for 1-2 weeks.