When I think about these truffles, I begin to sing “A teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down…” Why you ask??? Because each of these yummy cholatey treats contain almost 1 tbsp of coconut oil!
I am so glad I ordered coconut cream concentrate a few weeks ago. I already add virgin coconut oil to my shakes but I am always looking for ways to get more coconut oil into my “diet.” Coconut cream concentrate is 70% coconut oil. It’s texture is not that of oil so it is much more palatable for those who don’t enjoy eating straight coconut oil (like me)!
A FEW Benefits of using Coconut Oil in your diet:
- The high lauric acid content can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It doesn’t increase LDL and helps keep arteries flexible and prevent atherosclerosis
- Studies show that coconut oil may help increase thyroid health because of its unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion
- Coconut oil can help boost metabolism. Since it travels directly to the liver, it is used for energy and not stored as fat.
- It helps a feeling of satiety and can assist in weight loss.
- It can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D and other minerals
- It’s antifungal properties have been shown to help reduce candida and yeast in the body and fight yeast infections
- Can help fight infection and flu due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties
Make a batch of these at the beginning of the week and have a “spoonful of medicine” everyday! These truffles would also be a great way to sneak coconut oil into a friend or loved one’s diet! Yeah, I’m sneaky like that!
About the Recipe
These truffles are a spin-off of my 60-Second Chocolate Shot recipe. I modified the Chocolate Shot recipe to use for cupcake frosting for my son’s birthday party this past weekend. It was delicious!
I used water instead of coconut milk just so I could lessen the cost or hassle of the recipe and it worked. Using water also toned down coconut flavor but feel free to add coconut milk if you want more coconut flavor.
I have made truffles in the past using unsweetened chocolate, coconut oil and heavy whipping cream. Using the unsweetened chocolate created a very strong, some would say bitter truffle. Using the coconut cream concentrate and the unsweetened cocoa powder tones it down and they are velvety and DIVINE!
Also, use a small scoop to measure out the truffles. No messy hands!
Easy Chocolate Truffles
Makes 6-7 truffles
9 grams of Fat & 2 Net Carbs each
5 tbsp coconut cream concentrate (I used Tropical Traditions)
4 tbsp raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup water, room temperature
6 servings** Kal Stevia or 2 tbsp raw honey (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans) or shredded coconut flakes
Extra cocoa powder (for nut-free)
Place jar of coconut cream concentrate in a bowl of hot water to soften. (It doesn’t have to be 100 % liquid.) Add coconut cream concentrate to small bowl and add cocoa powder. Stir until well incorporated. Next, add vanilla, stevia (or other sweetener) and water. Stir (or whisk) until velvety and creamy. Taste for sweetness and adjust if necessary. (Lick the spoon but try not to eat all of it!) If cream hardens back up or clumps, simply re-melt by placing bowl in warm water and stirring. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or until mixture has solidified.
Place nuts or coconut into a small bowl. Using small scoop, scoop out approximately 1.5 tbsp of the chocolate mixture (and place on top of nuts (or coconut). Move bowl around to coat chocolate completely with nuts. Repeat for remaining truffles. Store in fridge until your daily dose of medicine is needed!
For Nut Free: Roll in unsweetened cocoa powder.
**1 mini spoon full (spoon included in Kal Stevia) is 1 serving
Many of the links contained in this post are Affiliate Links. If you purchase through the links provided, I will receive a small (very small) commission which I used to buy more ingredients to create more recipes. I have chosen these products not to receive a commission but because I think they are the best on the market. Thank you for your support!