I confess… I was one of those kids that would eat chocolate frosting right out of the tub, 1 spoonful at a time! I think back on those times and wonder why I didn’t go into a diabetic coma!! But it was sooo good… I thought! This recipe is my new indulgence… I get in the corner of my kitchen and whip up a batch and I eat it… 1 spoonful at a time!
This recipe came about because I was needing a chocolate fix in the middle of the day while caring for a newborn, 2-year-old and working on the new cookbook and blog! I call this my 5-Minute Vacation that only takes 1 minute to get there! My kind of recipe!
A few weeks ago I ordered some Coconut Cream Concentrate from Tropical Traditions when it was BOGO Free (my recipes are usually centered around a good deal). Since giving up cheese and dairy, I was needing some ideas to get more calories and fat in during the day. I am nursing my 2 month old son and I always worry that I am not eating enough calories even though I eat every time he eats (and the kid weights over 14 pounds)! I started whipping this up in a little bowl and having a “5-minute Vacation” once a day while eating it! So good!! There is a slight coconut flavor but not like when using virgin coconut oil. I also made a batch of chocolate (nut-free & dairy-free) cupcakes to spread it on… oh my GOODNESS!! I am still amazed how awesome dairy-free foods can be! If you haven’t tried coconut cream concentrate, it is a great treat! You can also make it from fresh coconuts or coconut chips. I haven’t done this YET but will in the near future!
What is Coconut Cream Concentrate?
CCC is also called Coconut Butter or Coconut Manna. It is the meat of the coconut blended into a puree. Nothing else is added. It is 70% coconut oil so not only does this frosting taste great and satisfies a chocolate craving, some may say it is also good for you! Eating this recipe is like eating the equivalent of 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil without the SUPER strong coconut taste and greasy texture! It’s like eating your medicine because we all know how good coconut oil is you you!
A FEW Benefits of using Coconut Oil in your diet:
- The high lauric acid content can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It doesn’t increase LDL and helps keep arteries flexible and prevent atherosclerosis
- Studies show that coconut oil may help increase thyroid health because of its unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion
- Coconut oil can help boost metabolism. Since it travels directly to the liver, it is used for energy and not stored as fat.
- It helps a feeling of satiety and can assist in weight loss.
- It can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D and other minerals
- It’s antifungal properties have been shown to help reduce candida and yeast in the body and fight yeast infections
- Can help fight infection and flu due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties
I eat coconut oil everyday. Usually in my protein smoothie but now I am getting some extra oil in with a Chocolate Shot! Fat doesn’t make you fat, especially when consuming good fats like the ones found in coconut oil! I have lost 6 lbs in the past 3 weeks consuming lots of coconut oil and CCC! 20 more pounds of baby weight to go!
How to enjoy your Chocolate Shot:
- Eat IMMEDIATELY with spoon (my favorite)
- Pipe onto disposable spoons and serve at a party
- Keep in fridge when you have a chocolate craving
- Top with a little salted peanut or almond butter for a Reese Cup effect
- Frost cupcakes (will frost 3-4 cupcakes)
- Spread on strawberries
- Eat with bananas
- Make truffles once chilled and roll in cocoa powder or chopped nuts.
- Be creative….
**If you allow this recipe to set at room temperature over an hour, a little of the coconut oil will separate from the frosting. This will not affect the taste in any way. To avoid this, if not eating immediately, store in the fridge.
Also, you could use any “liquid” you would like. I chose to use my homemade coconut milk but you could use almond milk or even water.
Tips: It will start off watery. Keep stirring. The more you stir, the creamier it will become, almost fluffy! If you let it set, it will begin to harden. I like it best eating immediately after preparing or if I refrigerate, letting it come to room temperature.
2 tbsp. homemade coconut milk (I actually used the water part and none of the cream), milk of choice or water
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
2 tbsp. coconut cream concentrate or coconut butter
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 servings Organic Kal Stevia or 1-1/2 tsp. of raw honey or sweetener of choice
In small bowl, add all ingredients and with the back of your spoon, blend until smooth. This should take about 1 minute. The more you stir, the smoother it gets. Taste for sweetness and adjust if necessary. Enjoy.
Many of the links contained in this post are Affiliate Links. If you purchase through the links provided, I will receive a small (very small) commission which I used to buy more ingredients to create more recipes. I have chosen these products not to receive a commission but because I think they are the best on the market. Thank you for your support!