Here is another “copy cat” cake! My friend Cathy made a grain-free version of Whole Food’s Berry Chantilly cake using my Pound Cake recipe from the cookbook and it was great, I forgot how good they used to be! I made a few tweaks, using the Yellow Cake recipe from the cookbook which is very similar to the cake used for the Heavenly Strawberry Cake I posted a few weeks ago. The difference being that I separated the eggs, and whipped the egg whites separately and then incorporated them into the batter at the very end. This helps give the cake a very nice texture.
I think this is my favorite cake creations to date! This is definitely my husbands favorite and my in-law’s! (I thought the Heavenly Strawberry Cake was last week!) The almond extract in the frosting is really nice even though I am typically not an almond extract fan. Also, the Grand Marnier is optional. The cake is good with it or good without it. It will cost you about $40 a bottle so I would just omit it if you don’t have it but it will add that last layer of flavor that is reminiscent of the Whole Foods version.
Again, like with all my recipes, TASTE everything! Taste the batter before baking, taste the cream cheese frosting, taste the syrup for the berries. If you need more sweetener, add it. As you can see, I added minuscule amounts of honey and coconut sugar to finish off the sweetness of this cake.
As pictured, you can always make minis. Make cupcakes and split them in half. Spend the extra time to decorate and people will be impressed, I PROMISE!
|Fruit and syrup layer… yummy!|
|Pipe on frosting|
Best if refrigerated at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
Very Berry Chantilly Cake
- 1 cup almond flour I use Honeyville
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 level tsp plus 1/8th tsp Kal Stevia or sweetener of choice to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or canned coconut milk for dairy-free
- 1/2 cup sour cream or canned coconut milk for dairy-free
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted (or part butter and part coconut oil)
Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 12 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 tbsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Stevia Select Stevia or sweetener of choice to taste
- 12 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 tbsp organic coconut sugar or honey to taste (optional)
- 1 tsp all fruit preserves I used peach. You could use apricot or omit it all together
- 1 tsp water
Berries & Sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4-5 servings servings Stevia Select Stevia to taste
- 1 tsp raw honey optional
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tbsp pure orange extract omit if using Grand Marnier
- 3-4 tbsp Grand Marnier Liquor optional
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F and lube and line bottom of (2) 8″ cake pans with parchment paper. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until SOFT peaks form. In another bowl (using same beaters) blend remaining wet ingredients, including egg yolks (adding melted butter at very end). Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Then carefully fold egg whites into batter. Divide batter equally between both pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes for or until top is slightly browned. Carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- In medium bowl, blend sour cream, cream cheese, extracts and stevia. Blend well. Add heavy whipping cream and blend until frosting has thickened. Taste for sweetness and add additional sweetener if necessary (coconut sugar).
Berries & Sauce
- Add all ingredients except berries to small saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Taste for sweetness. Cool completely.
- Once sauce is completely cooled, add berries.
- You will need extra Strawberries & Blueberries for garnish on the top of the cake.
I hope you have enjoyed this blog post. If you love my site and have enjoyed all of my recipes and content, please consider sharing this post, and supporting me through my affiliate links. This is at NO cost to you. I simply receive a VERY small commission on purchases made through links on my site or by using THIS link through Amazon.Thanks so much for your continued support!