I love sandwiches! I love a good steak and grilled chicken too, but some of my favorite meals are stuffed between two pieces of bread! Creating a tasty and hearty grain-free bread has been my mission for the last 16 months. Something that could hold up to a messy sandwich, a bread that tasted GOOD and one that looked like normal bread. In my Cookbook, I think I have created the perfect bread, great for sandwiches and paninis! If you don’t have a sandwich maker yet then check out these best sandwich maker reviewed!
I have been wanting a panini press for a while but didn’t want to spend the $$$. At least once a month I go to the local Goodwill looking for pretty dishes and a good deal and I came across this cheap version of a George Foreman grill for $2.99. Voila, my Panini Press! 😉 I am so glad I didn’t spend $50-$100 on the real thing! Here is a good deal on a panini press!
|My cheapo Panini Press at work (Ham & Cheese)|
If you haven’t purchased my Cookbook yet, what are you waiting for?!? 😉 You can also use the Sandwich Bun recipe HERE on the blog but I highly recommend you try the NEW bread recipe in the cookbook! For this Reuben Sandwich, I baked the bread recipe in (2) 8×8 inch square pans for “square” bread. This method yields 8 square buns. (Click here for the nut-free buns)
**Note: If you use the bread recipe from the blog, the recipe has not been adapted to make in the square pans so it would be best to keep it in the bun form. You can also half the recipe to make fewer buns.
This sandwich is FILLING! It’s nice to eat a tasty grain-free bread and not miss the “real” thing! Hope you enjoy this easy recipe!
Best Reuben Sandwich EVER
- 1 lb thinly sliced corn beef
- 1/2 to 1 cup sauerkraut homemade is best
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese or your favorite cheese, I used Munster
- 4 square Sandwich Buns split (page 149) or you can use this recipe from the blog)
- Salted butter for bread
Homemade Russian Dressing
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup no high fructose corn syrup or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sour cream or for dairy free, use extra mayo
- 1/2 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Kosher dill pickle spear chopped finely
To Prepare Fixings:
- Heat a George Foreman type grill (or frying pan). Once to temperature, in a few batches, place corned beef on grill and close lid to allow extra moisture to cook out and drip into collection container (make sure you have something to collect juices). This should only take 1-2 minutes per batch. Set meat aside on paper towels.
- Next, add sauerkraut to grill, covering and allowing to “cook” for about 1-2 minutes to allow extra moisture to cook out. Carefully remove and set aside. Wipe of grill or pan well after this step.
- **Optional: Place sliced sandwich buns in toaster on medium setting. This will help the sandwich not get soggy.
To Assemble Sandwich:
- Take split sandwich bun and place 1 tbsp of Russian dressing on 1/2 of bun. Top with 1 slice of cheese, 1/4th of meat, sauerkraut, another slice of cheese and another tablespoon of dressing. Top with other half of bun. Smear a little bit of butter on outside of bun. Place butter side down on George Foreman Grill. Butter other side of bread. Close lid on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread browns and cheese melts. Carefully remove sandwich and complete other 3 sandwiches.
Disclaimer: Some of the links contained in this post are Affiliate Links. If you make a purchase through the links provided, I will receive a small (very small) commission which I will use to buy more ingredients to create more recipes. This is at NO cost to you! I have chosen these products not to receive a commission, but because I think they are the best on the market. These are ingredients and equipment that I actually use. This commission helps compensate me for my time, and justifies the hours each day that I spend in the kitchen creating recipes, on the computer posting blogs, and sharing helpful information with you.
By clicking on any of links in my blog, you are helping me continue doing what I LOVE to do! Also, when purchasing items from Amazon, consider clicking on THIS affiliate link. Anything you purchase within 24 hours after clicking on THIS link, I will receive a small commission as well. Thanks again for all of your support, it is greatly appreciated! More great recipes to come.