|My kind of ice cream served with Homemade blueberry syrup|
What better way to end a great meal than to have some ice cream. I know it is technically Winter but seasons and living grain and sugar-free don’t stop me from having on of my favorite foods! If you reach for the stuff in the freezer section of the grocery, you will see a list of ingredients a mile long and words you don’t know how to say. I usually make my own ice cream so that I can keep the sugar and artificial sweeteners out.
Don’t be afraid of unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk. You can make the ice cream with straight unsweetened almond and coconut milk if you are lactose intolerant, although the texture will not be as smooth. Unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk are also great tools in your arsenal for those trying to cut out the blood sugar spiking carbs. You can substitute other dairy for the almond and coconut milk but it will effect the carb count. Any way you make this ice cream, it is so much better than the stuff in the store!
We are in the process of moving and I moved all of my gadgets over to the new house so I didn’t have my ice cream maker. Well, that didn’t stop me. I have heard someone say they made ice cream in a bag. It made sense, I was just curious to how long it would take. It only took 5 minutes or less! Don’t shake to long or it will freeze solid, keep it moving. My electric ice cream maker takes way longer than this recipe! This is another great recipe to get the kids helping you in the kitchen. I can’t wait till Hunter gets old enough to make mama some ice cream! 😉
This is great for a small batch. When you snip the bag to squeeze out your culinary creation, it’s just like soft serve. It does melt fast, so be ready to eat!
Want chocolate, add some unsweetened cocoa powder. Top with some nuts. Go crazy! I made a blueberry milk shake by adding some of my homemade blueberry syrup to my glass!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. of Kal stevia or sweetener of choice, or taste
- Mix ingredients well and pour into a quart size bag. Make sure it is sealed well.
- Place in gallon bag and fill with ice and rock salt. Seal gallon bag well.
- Shake or turn over, and over (and over), for about 5 minutes until ice cream thickens.
- Snip one end of quart bag and squeeze into serving dish like soft serve.
- 1/2 cup serving (using almond & coconut milk as described), 2.5 carbs
- 1/2 cup serving (using 1/2 and 1/2 or regular dairy milk in place of almond and coconut), around 10 carbs.
- 1/2 cup store bought no sugar, fat free vanilla ice cream: 19 carbs or more!