Make it on the stove top, Crock Pot or Instant Pot.
- 2 lbs. ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, etc.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 zucchini or yellow squash, chopped in 1 inch cubes
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped or 4-7 oz can of chopped chilies (4 oz for mild spice, 7 oz for more)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 large tomatoes, diced or 28-32 oz of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning (see below)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Extra taco seasoning and lime juice for serving
*Optional Toppings: Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime wedges and Cheese Chips
Instant Pot Dirctions: Set to Saute and brown meat inside inner pot. Drain excess oil and return to pan. Add remaining ingredients and then lock lid and close vent. Cook for 15 minutes on "Stew" and then natural release for 5 minutes.
Stove top method: Brown meat in large pan. Drain off excess grease and set aside. In same pot, sauté onions, bell pepper and zucchini for about 5-10 minutes or until soft. Add meat back to pan along with rest of ingredients. Cook on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add additional 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and 1 extra tablespoon of lime juice just before serving.
Crock Pot Method: Add cooked meat to crock pot along with rest of ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
Creamy Taco Soup: After soup if finished cooking, add 8 oz. cream cheese to soup and stir until melted.
JUST BEFORE SERVING: If desired, stir in extra tablespoon of taco seasoning and 1 extra tablespoon of lime juice.
- 8 Net Carbs per serving
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea or pink salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper