Like most women, and men I guess, I love CHOCOLATE!!! There is just something about it. I actually find that I like it more now, than I used to. Don’t give me that milk chocolate stuff, too sweet and not enough chocolate for the Chocoholic! In the grocery store, you can’t find low carb chocolate without it being filled with artificial sweeteners and a list of other ingredients that I don’t find appealing, so I decided to make my own. This stuff is great because I an keep it in the fridge for when I get the craving for either a piece of chocolate or need it for a new recipe.
Just 4 ingredients and they are of course grain free and sugar free but also soy and dairy free!
Upcoming recipes using these Chocolate Chunks: Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache & Chocolate Chip cookies!
This is just so easy. You can do this in the microwave but I tend to steer clear of microwaves unless in a pinch. It is just as easy doing on top of the stove in a make-shift double broiler. Put about 1-2 inches of water in the bottom of a med size pot. Then place a glass bowl (big enough to sit in the pot allowing the bottom of the bowl to be in side of the pot but not to touch the water). Keep the heat on low and the steam will slowly melt the chocolate without too big of a fear that you will scorch or burn the chocolate. If you want to do it in the microwave, you would just add all of the ingredients and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring at each 30 second interval until the chocolate is melted.
I recommending making a few batches at a time and storing them in the freezer to have on hand!
UPDATE: You can make this recipe a bit simpler (and safer) by just splitting the chocolate squares in half and add to double boiler. It will take a little long to melt, but you won’t have to chop the hard chocolate and risk the lose of a finger! 😉
Homemade Chocolate Chip Chunks
Makes 10 oz
8 oz of unsweetened chocolate (I used Baker’s Brand)
1/4 cup of coconut oil plus 1 tablespoon
1 & 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of Stevia (I use Kal Brand) or to taste
- Cut up chocolate into smaller pieces to make it easier to melt
- Add chocolate to double boiler which is simmering on low heat along with coconut oil, vanilla and stevia.
- Stir until chocolate is devolved, about 10 minutes. Taste for sweetness. Add more stevia if you desire.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a 8×8 (or any other container not too big that has sides) lined with plastic wrap. To keep the plastic wrap from falling on chocolate, spray or butter the container before putting plastic wrap in it.
- Place in freezer for hardening for 25 minutes or until hardened. Also place cutting board and knife in fridge or freezer to get cold.
- Remove plastic wrap and chocolate and transfer to cutting board.
- With a very sharp knife, cut into small chunks, about 1/4 inch squares, they won’t be perfectly symmetrical and that is o.k. Work fast because the chocolate will start to melt slightly. Transfer to container and store in refrigerator or freezer until ready to use. Use is in the place of regular chocolate chips in recipes.
|Ready for fridge or freezer!|
Regular milk chocolate chips: 2 tbsp: 18 carbs
My Chocolate Chunks: 2 tbsp: 3.2 carbs