|The salty, crunchy crust is my favorite part!|
Southern Style Buttermilk “Corn” Bread
- Place 8 inch cast iron skillet on top of stove on med-low heat while preparing batter to preheat.
- Blend dry ingredients.
- Whisk wet ingredients well.
- Add wet to dry and mix.
- Let stand for 3-4 minutes and mix again.
- Add butter to frying pan.
- Then add batter, spreading it out to almost completely cover the pan.
- Reduce heat slightly and cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove cover and allow to set for another 5.
- Serve warm. Carefully remove first piece of bread using a small spatula.
For “Corn” Sticks
Preheat the stick pan and the oven to 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Add 1 tsp of salted butter to each stick well. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter for each stick. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, trying to achieve that brown crust, but do not burn. Remove carefully because this recipe is more delicate than the traditional cornbread.
|The Set up.|
|The finished product.|
Homemade Baking Powder
- Mix ingredients well. Substitute when recipe calls for baking powder exact proportions.
- Store in airtight container.